jbovlaste
a lojban dictionary editing system
User:
Pass:

Home
Get A Printable Dictionary
Search Best Words
Recent Changes
How You Can Help
valsi - All
valsi - Preferred Only
natlang - All
natlang - Preferred Only
Languages
XML Export
user Listing
Report Bugs
Utilities
Status
Help
Admin Request
Create Account
Discussion of "glebre"
[parent] [root]
Comment #1: Inappropriately abstracted gloss words
Arnt Richard Johansen (Sun Dec 12 03:26:54 2004)

These are not correct gloss words.

"heat ; sex" would be "ka glebre", not "glebre".

A more correct keyword would be "be in heat ; sex", but this would be
collated under b, not h.

If I were doing this definition, I would probably not have any gloss words
at all.

Comment #2: Re: Inappropriately abstracted gloss words
Pierre Abbat (Sun Dec 12 12:30:32 2004)

arj wrote:
> These are not correct gloss words.
>
> "heat ; sex" would be "ka glebre", not "glebre".
>
> A more correct keyword would be "be in heat ; sex", but this would be
> collated under b, not h.
>
> If I were doing this definition, I would probably not have any gloss
words
> at all.

Since I can't add "ka glebre" to the Lojban words, and someone looking for
"glebre" or "heat" won't find it if the entry is "ka glebre" or "be in
heat", I'll leave the gloss words as they are and add a note.

Comment #3: Re: Inappropriately abstracted gloss words
Arnt Richard Johansen (Sun Dec 12 14:55:03 2004)

phma wrote:
> Since I can't add "ka glebre" to the Lojban words, and someone looking
for
> "glebre" or "heat" won't find it if the entry is "ka glebre" or "be in
> heat", I'll leave the gloss words as they are and add a note.

That's okay.

Another issue:
If I'm not mistaken, the "notes" field will end up in the English part of
the dictionary, together with the definition. Therefore, it should be in
English, not in Lojban.

Comment #4: Re: Inappropriately abstracted gloss words
Pierre Abbat (Sun Dec 12 23:30:32 2004)

arj wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, the "notes" field will end up in the English part
of
> the dictionary, together with the definition. Therefore, it should be in
> English, not in Lojban.

The notes field of "glebre" ends up in the Lojban-English part. The note
about musth is for a jbopli who knows "glebre" but not "musth". Other
notes, such as the one at naxle, are for glipli and clarify the meaning
of the Lojban word.

Comment #5: Re: Inappropriately abstracted gloss words
Jorge Llambias (Tue Dec 14 13:15:31 2004)

arj wrote:
> "heat ; sex" would be "ka glebre", not "glebre".
>
> A more correct keyword would be "be in heat ; sex", but this would be
> collated under b, not h.

The problem is that jbovlaste is designed as a Lojban -> Natlang
dictionary. (Or Lojban -> Lojban.)

The Natlang -> Lojban counterpart comes as a side effect, but does not
always work very well. In a proper English -> Lojban dictionary we would
have something like:

heat 1. ka glare 2. ka glebre

or whatever. (I'd probably use nu instead of ka.) There is no garantee
that the words of one language are matched by single words of the other
language.
jbovlaste has definitions for single Lojban words, not for single natlang
words. (In this case it is possible to add kamglare, kamglebre as words,
but there is no reason in general to match every single English word with
a single Lojban word.)

mi'e xorxes

Currently, jbovlaste will accept data for 69 languages.
You are not logged in.

  recent changes jbovlaste main
This is jbovlaste, the lojban dictionary system.
The main code was last changed on Wed 07 Oct 2020 05:54:55 PM PDT.
All content is public domain. By submitting content, you agree to place it in the public domain to the fullest extent allowed by local law.
jbovlaste is an official project of the logical language group, and is now headed by Robin Lee Powell.
E-mail him if you have any questions.
care to log in?