jbovlaste
a lojban dictionary editing system
User:
Pass:

Home
Get A Printable Dictionary
Search Best Words
Recent Changes
How You Can Help
valsi - All
valsi - Preferred Only
natlang - All
natlang - Preferred Only
Languages
XML Export
user Listing
Report Bugs
Utilities
Status
Help
Admin Request
Create Account
Discussion of "anpeza'ofau"

Comment #1: temci and "duration"
Curtis W Franks (Fri Mar 25 05:33:41 2016)

Allowed of uses of "temci" seem to be at least poorly motivated to me if
we take it to mean strictly "duration". It is often used in order to mean
"time", which is different from duration in the same way that "space" is
different from "length".

Comment #2: Re: temci and
Curtis W Franks (Fri Mar 25 05:39:19 2016)

krtisfranks wrote:
> Allowed of uses of "temci" seem to be at least poorly motivated to me
if
> we take it to mean strictly "duration". It is often used in order to mean

> "time", which is different from duration in the same way that "space" is
> different from "length".

Unless it means "(time) interval", in which case there is no good word for
"duration" in the sense of the Lebesgue measure of that interval. (I would
say that "cabyku'e" is an ill-formed lujvo.)

In this situation, we have the additional problem of having neither a word
for "time" as a dimension (just as "spatial n-dimensional interval" does
not mean "n-dimensional space" as a dimension) nor a word for the Lebesgue
measure of time intervals ("duration" as a 'length').

Comment #3: Re: temci and
gleki (Fri Mar 25 06:47:13 2016)

krtisfranks wrote:
> krtisfranks wrote:
> > Allowed of uses of "temci" seem to be at least poorly motivated to me

> if
> > we take it to mean strictly "duration". It is often used in order to
mean
>
> > "time", which is different from duration in the same way that "space"
is
> > different from "length".
>
> Unless it means "(time) interval", in which case there is no good word
for
> "duration" in the sense of the Lebesgue measure of that interval. (I
would
> say that "cabyku'e" is an ill-formed lujvo.)
>
> In this situation, we have the additional problem of having neither a
word
> for "time" as a dimension (just as "spatial n-dimensional interval" does
> not mean "n-dimensional space" as a dimension) nor a word for the
Lebesgue
> measure of time intervals ("duration" as a 'length').


duration is usually ditcu if that's relevant, it's a known and quite
often used exp. gismu.

Comment #4: Re: temci and
Curtis W Franks (Fri Mar 25 10:32:08 2016)

gleki wrote:
> krtisfranks wrote:
> > krtisfranks wrote:
> > > Allowed of uses of "temci" seem to be at least poorly motivated to
me
>
> > if
> > > we take it to mean strictly "duration". It is often used in order to
> mean
> >
> > > "time", which is different from duration in the same way that "space"

> is
> > > different from "length".
> >
> > Unless it means "(time) interval", in which case there is no good word
> for
> > "duration" in the sense of the Lebesgue measure of that interval. (I
> would
> > say that "cabyku'e" is an ill-formed lujvo.)
> >
> > In this situation, we have the additional problem of having neither a
> word
> > for "time" as a dimension (just as "spatial n-dimensional interval"
does
> > not mean "n-dimensional space" as a dimension) nor a word for the
> Lebesgue
> > measure of time intervals ("duration" as a 'length').
>
>
> duration is usually ditcu if that's relevant, it's a known and quite
> often used exp. gismu.

Ah, I forgot about that. It is relevant, as it is exactly what is needed.
Then we are good!

Currently, jbovlaste will accept data for 69 languages.
You are not logged in.

  recent changes jbovlaste main
This is jbovlaste, the lojban dictionary system.
The main code was last changed on Wed 07 Oct 2020 05:54:55 PM PDT.
All content is public domain. By submitting content, you agree to place it in the public domain to the fullest extent allowed by local law.
jbovlaste is an official project of the logical language group, and is now headed by Robin Lee Powell.
E-mail him if you have any questions.
care to log in?